Chakra is a Sanskrit word that means “wheel”. It is the term we use for the primary energy centers in our bodies. There are 7 major chakras in the body. Each chakra corresponds to different colors, musical sounds, organs, and physical and emotional issues. Some people have developed their natural ability to see and experience chakras through their psychic senses.
From the side view, chakras look like cones of light with the point of the cone closest to the spine and the wider part of the cone extending several inches beyond our physical bodies in the front and the back. From the front view, chakras look like spinning wheels of light.
The colors of the chakras are the brightest colors you can imagine, like LED lights. Although most resources state the primary color of each chakra, each chakra is made of many brilliant colors.
There is so much to learn about chakras, including how to balance and heal them, but here is a basic introduction to the 7 major chakras:
- Root Chakra – the first chakra, located at the base of the spine and pointing down between the legs. This chakra is related to survival and grounding to the earth. Color red.
- Sacral Chakra – the second chakra, located about 2 inches below the navel. This chakra is related to pleasure, well-being, and sexuality. Color orange.
- Solar Plexus Chakra – the third chakra, located above the navel in the stomach region. This chakra relates to personal power and digestion. Color bright yellow.
- Heart Chakra – the forth chakra, located in the center of the chest. This chakra relates to emotions and giving and receiving love. Color green.
- Throat Chakra – the fifth chakra, located in the throat. This chakra relates to communication and speaking your truth. Color blue.
- Brow or Third Eye Chakra – the sixth chakra, located in the center of the forehead. This chakra relates to our intuition, wisdom, and imagination. Color dark bluish purple.
- Crown Chakra– the seventh chakra, located on the top center of the head. This chakra connects us to our higher self and relates to our spiritual self. Color purple or white. I always imagine this as white.
I also found a great flash presentation created by Caroline Myss, medical intuitive and author. She has an incredible website with lots of resources, including videos of her workshops, product information, and numerous articles.
Her Chakra Flash Presentation shows the location of each chakra, along with corresponding organs, physical and emotion issues related to imbalances in the chakra, and questions to help you do a self-examination of each chakra.
Chakra Healing is a book with beautiful illustrations throughout. It has a good overview of the chakras, signs of imbalances, and exercises to open and cleanse each one.
Light Emerging and Hands of Light, both by Barbara Brennan, are thick instruction manuals about energy and energy healing. Barbara Brennan knows what she’s talking about. She founded the Barbara Brennan School of Healing, which offers Professional Studies Diplomas and Bachelor of Science Degrees in Brennan Healing Science.